Wednesday, July 2, 2008

MGLSS, day 2

 

After an okay nights rest, I got up, and get ready for morning chapel (7:10 AM). Tuesday is English Day, so we held our own in the service. Breakfast was waiting for us at the Guest House; after we were full, we split up into several groups – some went to play games with the girls not in classes, and some did some campus maintenance.  A few of our girls worked on getting the library organized, and the other three guys got to collect trash and undergrowth into a big pile and burn it.  Rick says stuff doesn't burn as easily in this climate as, say, California

 

Since Jean had already committed me to the computer lab, I had to miss the fire making. (See another posting for the tech shock of Africa).  Two of the instructors helped me get started in the lab and office building – by days end we were ahead, but not by much. I lost a bunch of time recovering from what is apparently the first mistake everyone makes – plugging a 110 volt thing into a 240 volt outlet. I can still imagine I smell that acrid smoke you get from burnt electronics.

 

We got a few more machines closer to being functional – we have a plan to get more done tomorrow.

 

Dinner was anther marvel – squash soup, several vegetables (ooked, ofcourse) and grilled steak and sausage. After dinner we visited with Marv & Jean in their home, and got to see and buy some beaded handcrafts made by local Maasai women.  Marv & Jean merely provide the storage space- all the proceeds go back to the women.

 

We made it until 10 PM tonight before finally falling asleep.  I slept very soundly until abut 3 AM, and tossed & turned for a while before giving up and catching up on my writing.

 

Good night ! (or morning, a the case may be...)

 

(update, since it's already Wednesday afternoon here:  I got back to sleep for a couple hours, and am ever more close to being on Africa time.  By the time we return, I expect to be fully  acclimated :-)


No comments: